Sybil Attack - Reading Assignment

Answer these questions:

1. What is the general idea of a sybil attack?
  2. What deficiencies within a system (such as a cryptocurrency network) can allow a sybil attack to occur?
  1. The general idea of a sybil attack is one identity posing as many to disrupt a peer to peer network.
  2. I think the anonimity of addresses and nodes in a cryptocurrency network can allow a sybil attack to occur, but the PoW of bitcoin can make it too expensive…
  1. A node gets fed all bad information by all it’s peers being corrupt.

2. Lack of changing peers.

1. What is the general idea of a sybil attack?
On a p2p network to create as much identities as possible (by a single entity) to gain influence in that network. This is possible if creating identities is very cheap.

2. What deficiencies within a system (such as a cryptocurrency network) can allow a sybil attack to occur?
When you have a network that depends on a voting system, the more identities you can have in the network, the more votes you can cast and the more influence you have inside that network.
Also in a POS system (and if it’s cheap to buy in or if you have a lot of money) that only allows 1 entity to buy a max nr of stakes. If you can create multipe entities you can covertly buy more stakes than allowed and gain more influence than others on the network.

1. I person controlling many identities on a Peer to peer network with the intent to control the nodes on the network.

2. The ability to create multiple unidentified identities linked to 1 person and that person’s ability if they have large sums of money to control the nodes voting on the peer to peer system.

1. I think the general idea of a Sybil attach is for one entity to produce many identities and thus gain an advantage over the network and become a nefarious actor/person in a Cryptocurrency network. Correct?
  2. I would imagine that a network glitch/bug that allows for more than one identity to be created per entity will enable a Sybil attack. Correct?