Segwit & Segwit Transactions - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion about this section. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

Really enjoying these videos! Just one point of feedback is it’s a little bit tricky to keep track of these different parts when scrolling up and down. If possible it would be nice to keep things on the same slide as much as possible or maybe zoom in and zoom out rather than scrolling.

Q: If I understand correctly, is it the fact that you’re able to embed a segwit transaction inside a P2SH transaction which makes it a soft fork rather than a hard fork? It’s a bit confusing what an old node can and cannot do when it comes to segwit transactions, but I’ll re-watch the videos and stick with it.

also just fyi there’s a blooper for the first 12s of " Segwit Scripting Part 2 - Embedded Transactions" :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it. I have also edited out the blooper and will upload a new video for that section. You have no idea how many of those I have to edit out :wink:

To your question. No, not really. The reason it was a soft fork is that old nodes that didn’t upgrade still see segwit txs as valid. To them, a segwit tx looks like a “anyone can spend” tx. Because they don’t see the witness part and don’t know about the new locking script standard. The locking script to them contains no function call that verifies or checks signatures.

Remember, a segwit locking script i just 0 <PK_HASH>. To nodes that are unaware of the new scripting standard, they will just look at that locking script as something that anyone can redeem. While a segwit node will know what it actually means. I hope it became more clear :slight_smile:

1 Like