Programming Challenges & Improvements - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread about this lecture section. Here you can feel free to discuss the topic at hand and ask questions.

Challenge 2:
Took me quite some time to figure it our my solution is actually working. :smiley:
But you can only see the information on the BitPay dashboard. Can you change the invoice information shown to the user?

Good job! What invoice information are you talking about?

It would have done it a week ago. But I was…offline! Neighbor cut my cable.

Can I change the design of the invoice and what is displayed? Here:

By the way, maybe its just me, but it was kind of to easy :slight_smile:

I think a better example for a LAPP would be how to create some kind of money streaming service. Like video streaming, not just how to create simple invoices. It would better present the capabilities of lightning network.

Can I do this using BitPay or would I be required to set up my own node to achieve the desired throughput?

No, since we are using the btcpay library to display the invoice we can’t change the look. However, when the invoice was created you get the invoice in both text and QR code in the response from the server. You can choose to display that however you like instead of using the btcpay library we imported. That’s how you can achieve more customization.

I understand that the challenge might be too easy for some people, it’s a difficult balance since we have both new and experienced devs here.

As for the streaming idea, I LOVE IT. However, the tech was not really ready when I recorded this course. Maybe I can add it in the future. Because now we should be able to do it.

Take a look at this blog post and the github commit linked within it: https://coinrivet.com/streaming-money-through-the-lightning-network-is-closer-than-you-think/.

As long as you have an up to date lightning node you can now send payments without an invoice. Which is really what you need in order to stream money. Now you only need to attach that to a server that will query the lightning node to send the payments every second or every minute or whatever. Unfortunately btcpay doesn’t support this right now through a nice interface, so you need to do it yourself.

1 Like