Human Computer Interaction & Prototyping

Welcome to the discussion about this lecture. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

Hi Filip, great course! By SRS you are referring to Software Requirements Specification?

Yes! And sorry about that @Ace. SRS and SDD was not supposed to be mentioned in that video. We moved the wireframing video to the beginning after it was recorded. SRS and SDD will be covered later. In order to avoid confusion I have edited the video and uploaded one without the mentions of those.

I’m very excited and interested to see where this lecture series goes.

As a software developer, I have probably fallen into the trap of developing things for myself and losing sight of the end user, multiple times. One challenge I’ve had is to be able to build a community around my project. I personally deal better on objects and concepts than I do with people and social media. So, I hope this series will give me a little bit better of an idea on community-building.

In regards to HCI, I completely agree with the idea that software ought to be developed from a more human-focused perspective, and I think psychology can be helpful in this area. My own reflection and personal experiments with myself (relating to my last android app) have led me to this conclusion as well. Here’s something applicable that I heard from one of Jordan Peterson’s lectures:

It seems that our brains are more designed to look at the world and instinctively assess whether things are a “tool”, an “obstacle”, or simply part of the chaos of the background that we ignore until it “jumps out at us” and becomes a tool or obstacle. To actually identify something as an object requires more cognition than the previously mentioned assessment. So for example, if we’re standing on a cliff, we more quickly identify it as “falling-off place” than we do “cliff”. So, we’re instinctively aware of a thing’s functionality or hindrance than we are aware of what it actually is.

I’ve believe this insight applies to world of software design, especially when our attention is on a task that the software is merely supposed to assist with. Our brain power is limited, and we don’t want to take it away from the task at hand to figure out or recall how the software works - we just want the functionality of the software to be easily apparent and something we can use as an extension of ourselves, much like how a painter uses a thing to apply colored texture (brush) or a carpenter uses a thing to hit a nail (hammer).

totally fine, enjoying the course.

Hi Filip,
which website or online offering do you recommend for the early testing phases of a prototype? I think there should be any online offerings out there where real users test a prototype for a small amount of money. I would be happy if you could give me / us some information.

Thanks in advance
Dejan

Hello friend. Please, please, please. I know there are many formal and informal ways to present information. Especially in a course one is taking to learn. But, please, NEVER say again that you have not tested yet an app on the video you are selling to users. Selling tip!. It doesn´t look professional. Minute 2:47

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile:

Depends on what you mean. I’m sure you can find people that will test your prototype or app for bugs etc. But in terms of product development, you always want to test the app with your target user group, that is difficult to find online. That’s my experience at least.

I can only emphasize your point. HCI is very bad in any BC Project.

Hi Filip,
Looking good so far.
Just a small note; quiz 3/3, I think you mean “Why” are wireframes important.:wink:

Best.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected it :slight_smile:

Very important things, thank you for this lecture

Just got started with this, hope to send in a question soon. Thank you @filip

My experience with many technologies is that most of my peers see no use for a tech that 5 years later everyone is using. During testing time how do you find early adopters? Instead of people reluctant to change that just follow the masses.

Well, if you are having a hard time finding people that like your product/service or find it useful. Then there is a large chance that your product won’t be successfull when released. Maybe it’s too early for that product/technology, maybe your product isn’t good enough or maybe you are looking for people in the wrong user group.

The cases I was referring to are successful products like Netflix, Chrome, Facebook and IPhone.

Maybe its an issue of wrong user group and the product vision not being clearly defined. I am more referring to how to find for example Bitcoin 2012 user vs 2020 users.

I often find myself using and recommending I start using just to see them be used years later.

WHOA!

This video I REALLY like! It is VERY insight-driven! We MUST build useful things! Well done, Filip! BTW: you have an amazing voice! My compliments!

Scored 3/3, brother!

Thank you Michael! Appreciate it.