Homework on Functions - Questions

Homework on Functions - Questions

1. Describe what a function does in your own words

2. Calculate the output of the following function

f(x) = {

x^2 if x is even

x+10 if x is odd

}

What will be the output for the following inputs?

• a) f(2)

• b) f(7)

• c) f(0)

1. Write the definition of a function f that takes an input x, divides it by four and then outputs that result subtracted by 5.
61 Likes
  1. A function does the same actions to each unique variable entered.

2. a) 4
    b) 17
    c)0

3. f(x) = (x/4)-5

27 Likes

46 Likes

1- a function is a mathematical equation in which X is a variable

2- A) = 4
B) = 17
C) = 0

3- f(x)= x/4-5

5 Likes
  1. A function is a computation that takes an input, computes and gets an output.
    2.a. 4 b. 17 c. 0
    3 f(x) = x/4 - 5
23 Likes
  1. A function is as exuasion with x being the vareable.
  2. a=4 b=17 c=0
  3. f(x)=/4-5
2 Likes

a. 4
b. 17
c. 0
Function produce an output according to an input formula.

3 Likes
  1. A description of rules to be applied to a given input.
  2. a) 4
    b) 17
    c) 0
  3. f(x) = x / 4 - 5
12 Likes
  1. A function gives an output based on the input and function parameters described.

a) 4
b) 17
c) 0

1. f(x) = {
    x/4
    }
    f-5 = {}

f(x)=(x/4)-5

9 Likes
    A function is a set of instructions which you can activate by giving it some variables. It will give you results back whic[/quote]h you can process further.

f(x) = {

x^2 if x is even

x+10 if x is odd

}

• a) f(2) 4
  • b) f(7) 17
  • c) f(0) 0
  1. Write the definition of a function f that takes an input x, divides it by four and then outputs that result subtracted by 5

2. f(x) = {x/4}
    f-5 = {}
    f(x)=(x/4)-5

8 Likes

I’m embarrassed to say I just can’t get my head round the calculations. Can anyone share a link to some learning resources ideally for children? I don’t want to proceed until what I see makes sense.

82 Likes
  1. Function transforms an input by computing logic as per its definition
  2. a) 4
    b) 17
    c) 0
  3. f(x) =(x/4)-5
3 Likes

@Thinker http://www.coolmath.com/algebra/15-functions/01-whats-a-function-domain-range-01
One needs to learn algebra basics to understand it better way. There are many YouTube videos out there.

9 Likes
  1. Describe what a function does in your own words:

Function is computation which is follow certain mathematical rules.

a) f(2)= 2X2 = 4

b) f(7) = 7+10 = 17

c) f(0)= 0

1. Write the definition of a function f that takes an input x, divides it by four and then outputs that result subtracted by 5.

f(x) = x/4-5

4 Likes
  1. A function takes input values and performs a defined mathematical task on them to produce an output value.

a) 4
b) 17
c) 0

1. f(x) = {(x/4) - 5}
    While I appreciate that using bodmas the brackets don’t need to be added to x/4 I’ve added them for readability
6 Likes

#1.
A Function is a block of code that performs specialized tasks /operations to an input and in most cases provides the results as an output.

#2.
a) Output is 4
b) Output is 17
c) Output is 0

#3.
f(x) = (x/4)-5

1 Like
    A function is an algorithim that will play a preset role and bring a result every time it’s put to work.

f(x) = {
x^2 if x is even
x+10 if x is odd
}

*** a) f(2) = 2 + 10 = 12**
*** b) f(7) = 7^2 = 49**
*** c) f(0) = 1**

f(x) = (x / 4) - 5

2 Likes
  1. A function is a mathematic formula that takes an input does some computations and gives back an output.

2. a) f(2) = 4, b) f(7) = 17, c) f(0) = 0

3. f(x) = (x/4) - 5

1 Like

FUNCTIONS:

1. A ‘function’ is a computation. We use the function sign here to start the computation with its inputs and outputs.

You haven’t defined what ^ is. You should not assume everyone knows what that symbol means. A Google search shows that this is not obvious. https://www.rapidtables.com/math/symbols/Basic_Math_Symbols.html

For this purpose I will assume as others have that it means ^ = X

(a) 4
(b) 17
© 0

a = even x 2 b=odd + 7 c = zero

1. Again to me it is not clear what you are asking here when you say definition because I would say 'what is the formula for… going by other people answers. I understand what has been taught just not how it is phrased!

f (x) = (x / 4) -5

9 Likes

A function is a math formula where you can alter an input with a variable to get an output.

1. Calculate the output of the following function

a) x = 4
b) x = 17
c) x = 0

f(x) = (x / 4) - 5

1 Like