Girls in blockchain?

Unlike women, no matter how many battles us men enter, going against waves of opponents, our voice will never have the power to stop an army whole in it’s tracks. In my opinion women are the key to mainstream acceptance and overall to changing this world, that is why it should be of utmost importance to impact young women to enter technology and blockchain.

1 Like

Don’t think that guys who are into IT and computer science are portraying a ‘gender norm’. Quite the contrary: my blokey mates laugh at me cos I don’t know anything about motors or cars. Us geeks are already on the fringes of society, regardless of gender. We have to stick together and help each other. That way, we’ll have the ultimate Revenge of the Nerds.

2 Likes

Greetings, I am new to the space and appreciate the fact that there are women here who contribute and are active and learning (as we all are.)
One thing I have noticed is that it doesn’t seem to matter to a true crypto spirit -if You will- not a maximalist thing - simply people are too engaged to care whether they are talking to a male or female. Happy with that discovery.
Encouraging all to participate in what manner best suits them,
And, yes, I’m sure I want to continue this ‘old’ conversation…lol.

Hi there Wan. I’m a girl in blockchain and a girl in Tech too. I think it’s really social conditioning. My mum (I’ve been raised by a single mother) never raised eyebrows with any of my career aspiration when I was younger. I played a lot of video games too with my mum. So it was almost normal that when I said I wanted to make games nothing was problematic.

I think it’s all about social conditioning, like pink is for girls and blue is for boys. One of the thing I believe we ought to do. what we should really all do is to find it normal to have girl in tech. I think there is too much emphasis that there isn’t a lot of girls in this field.

1 Like

I have been a woman in IT for over 20 years, and have often been the only woman on the development team. I think this is changing in recent years with initiatives like Girls Who Code. My younger female cousin just graduated in Computer Science and taught at Girls Who Code for her internship. I think it would be good to introduce blockchain into the Girls Who Code curriculum.

1 Like

Hi Wan,
Your comment was posted Sept. 2017 and it’s now March 24th, 2020. I am not typical and one of the few girls in Ivan’s academy. I am also 58 years young. Pretty sure that defi’s some norms reagrding women interested in the tech field. It may be different in schools depending on where in the world one is, but my generation simply wasn’t exposed in academia. I pursued it on my own and since technology started accelerating ater i was well into adulthood, many in my agegroup were “afraid” of new technology as they knew nothing or little about it.

I believe we are now transitioning regarding exposure and use of technology in society (its everywhere) and up and coming generations are exposed to it before they are even in school, so it will be interesting to see if the gender imbalance continues.

That said, one should pursue any type of technology field they are so inspired to, whether or not one is male or female.

Cheers to all!

1 Like

Hello to all the females and men interested in the female topic,

I am new to the group and have been hesitant to join the Academy and start my learning due to a fear of not being able to understand the technical aspects. However, I am now on board and pleasantly surprised by Ivan’s multi learning approach which includes video lectures. Perhaps the reason why so many women aren’t in the engineering/techno space is due to the teaching styles not appealing to women. As an example. When I was at school in my younger days, I thought I was completely ‘thick’ at Mathematics as I couldn’t keep up with the class. It wasn’t until some private lessons with a teacher who had a different approach to teaching actually helped me to understand the subject better. I then realised that everyone has a different way of absorbing information. Perhaps the reason why so few women are involved in this space is due to the learning styles and not necessarily because of the topic. What do you think?

1 Like

Hi Teresa, yeah totally agree with you! Ivan is an amazing teacher. I’m very passionate about this topic, from a woman’s / educator’s perspective, it’s super important to board girls into this space and do what we can to welcome them. I’m starting with my ‘mini me’ and she seems to enjoy it!

1 Like

Hi, it is now Oct 2020 and there are more females enrolled in the academy. Not only that, but with varying age. I think new technology is catching up to us and we want to learn it.

4 Likes