Functions, Hash Functions, Cryptography - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion thread about this lecture section. Here you can feel free to discuss the topic at hand and ask questions.

1 Like

hash’s all you need to know its one way!! no turning back…

Im very curious how to check hashes interface friendly in the end in different applications.

Just finished a section without any homework. Wohoo! I can go home early!! :smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to confirm my current understanding.

The public key is the sha256 of the private key and the wallet address is the RIPEMD160 of the public key?

Hey Ivan, I want to start similar curses in Lithuania and was thinking maybe you can help me?

Yeah I’m green on the hashing algorithms myself. I don’t quite get the “handshake” idea but I’m looking forward to when I have my head around it so to speak. Actually… I was just thinking it works like this.

Person A sends person B a public key.
B puts his private key with A’s public key and creates a hash.
B sends this hash to A.
A mixes this hash with his private key to produce another hash.
A sends this hash to B.

Both A and B now have unique private hashs that are used to decrypt each other’s messages… Right?

Hash is a cryptographfical timestamp/fingerprint between every block.
No way going back after that. It is final

Hash rate is something that is important with this type of technology.

Not according to this link:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses
Half way down the page, there’s a list of the different conversion stages in the section How to create Bitcoin Address

It seems that both SHA-256 and RIPEMD-160 are used to convert the public key into a Bitcoin address. There are also some other stages, and SHA-256 is actually used multiple times.

Probably not the straightforward answer you hoped for, but I hope that helps! :wink:

1 Like

Hi Ivan,

Just need a quick explanation for my business-minded friends, can I explain to them in the picture as shown? The output of SHA256 serves as the inputted Hash for the next block. As a result, it is impossible to change the “blockchain” as there is a need for the right previous output in order to proceed with the next block with any transaction information.

Thanks and hope to hear from you.

correct, each block has the hash of the previous block. so if you alter an older block in the blockchain, all the next blocks become invalid.