Economy and Budget - Discussion

Welcome to the discussion about this lecture. Here you can ask questions or post feedback about this specific lecture.

1 Like

In terms of recommending blockchain to businesses, if running Ethereum is so expensive and so slow, sounds like the only practical use case I can think of at this point is to run ICO. Filip can you provide any practical use cases for Ethereum to be adopted in real business world (other than running ICO)? Compared to: VET has own proprietary digital tag to track genuine products and fight counterfeit, Elastos is releasing carrier nodes in tv boxes, even Tron is almost 100x faster, why would we even consider Ethereum for our clients?

2 Likes

It is expensive and slow, correct. But it also has a lot of proof of work behind it, so it’s quite secure.

But I would agree that ICOs are the most common use case right now, but we have a lot of ICO clients as well. Gaming is another big one, with ERC721 tokens for example. I think that is going to grow, fast.

5 Likes

True, gaming would be perfect use case and early adopter!

1 Like

Hi Filip, I would like to know how much a blockchain consultant could charge per hour. I want to start my business very soon and I need some numbers to have some idea of the market. Thanks.

Filip, I want to tell you as well that I enjoyed this course a lot, I did learn lots of usable things and I am so happy for that. Thank you and Ivan for this invaluable opportunity and for your amazing work. Of course I am going to continue painting the owl. Thank you a million guys !

2 Likes

Hi Nando,

I personally use www.glassdoor.com to review salaries in the United States. It will provide an idea of where to start and also considering what you feel your time is worth. It has jobs posted and the requirements needed to fulfill the position. I think it will be a great resource for you.

Wishing you the best of luck with your endeavours!

2 Likes

It would actually be difficult to say. It depends where you live I would say, or where your customer lives. I think you could charge anywhere between 100 and 500 dollars per hour. Depending on the customer and the service you are providing.

If you are starting out, start cheap and move your way up.

5 Likes

Hi Filip,

there are actually some interesting business blockchains (NEM, Neblio, Nuls, Dragonchain, Stratis…), which are much faster & cheaper than Ethereum, because they use APIs to connect existing front end within a business instead of executing every piece of code on a blockchain based virtual machine. As far as I understood, most business use cases don’t need something like EVM (researching at the moment in order to prepare my own use case). I really would like to learn more about that (pros & cons, comparison Hyperledger, Eth, other Business Blockchains)…

I like your course very much, but actually am a bit disappointed that you only cover Hyperledger. Maybe this could be some topic for another course or youtube video?

1 Like

Hey there,

I just take a look for all the course because I have an interview on a Blockchain Consultant position tomorrow.

It is for an enterprise interested in Hyperledger and Quorum and I don’t have f***ckin clue of what salary I should say.

It would be helpful if Filip, based in his experience, tell us how much time, in average, takes each of the 5 steps that shows in the video (requirements, design, develop, test and maintenance).

Thanks a lot, here from Madrid-Spain

2 Likes

It’s impossible to say. Me and most other consultants I know work on an hourly ongoing basis. It’s never a good idea to try to estimate the nr of hours for a full project.

Thank you for the feedback :slight_smile:

Hi @Nando ,

My first invoices as a blockchain project consultant were at € 150 per hour (i.e. 165 US$). I am in Switzerland and I was invoicing a French company.

And when I gave courses at HEG Geneva University about “Blockchain and new technologies” my invoices where at CHF 145 per hour (i.e. 148 US$) which is the standard rate for this university.

I have also created a professionalizing course to transform “project managers” into “blockchain project managers”, course which takes place in Paris in alyra.fr school since October 2019. For this course I don’t have a price per hour, because I will receive royalties, i.e. each trimester when the course begins with new students I will receive a percentage of the student registration fees.

A long time has passed since your post, please give us some news about your business ? I wish you all the best :smiley:
With kindest regards from Switzerland, Chantal

10 Likes

Alohaa!before i join this courses i was asking to an EOS kind of platform based in Indonesia,from their proposal to my preposition i find out that they charge 5 million Rupiah (1 $ = 14.000 Rupiah) for making a Token for my customer loyalty program, with 3 month of maintenance, and 150 million Rupiah for building the Dapps of the coffeeshop with also 3 months worth of maintaining the sites, Just for Sharing, thanks for everybits of knowledge from the lectures, wish u all the best!

1 Like

Hi @filip , i have been on most of the different types of priced projects (none Blockchain) that you have mentioned i.e. for a broad range of small to major financial institutions in different countries and the ones that have caused the biggest issues are the Fixed Price projects especially when the Business Client :-

1. Does not know exactly what they want
  2. Knows what they want but have not done their internal analysis to outline clearly the specific internal process they wish to address.
  3. Have not internally planned for or committed staff time to engage in the different project stages from inception to testing.

and also when the I.T Consultancy has :-

1. Been too desperate to win the the client’s business project.
  2. Grossly under-planned the number of man hours / days with added contingency (as is always required as I.T projects frequently suffer time slippage)
2 Likes

Hi guys!
What are your experiences in an agile environment regarding budgeting. No matter if you use Scrum or Kanban, basically you have to give a budget based on an epic or high level user stories to not waste too much time on a specification. Which methods do you use in your projects to take out some uncertainty and still be able to start development? Thanks for sharing your experiences!

as a business owner, you have to really research other people or companies and what they charge to gauge a costing strategy, as others have said building a clientele is the hard task, delivering quality and quantity, then rewards you with a price everyone is willing to pay to have you on board working on their project, in turn they tell others and you become and industry leader.
I wish all of you the best of luck launching your businesses.
I hope to one day be apart of the industry myself, first I want to educate myself as I have been for the last two years in everything that has been going on , I started with markets and blockchain eco system and now I am learning the entire blockchain and coding.
when I see an opportunity , I sure will be taking it.

Can somebody briefly explain how to do stake? Or lead me back where we learned it? I just need to refresh my memory… thanks !

1 Like

Hi @Dora_Csonka, hope you are well.

If you ask for Proof of Stake here is a good article that explain quite well the entire algorithm.

https://blog.komodoplatform.com/en/proof-of-stake/

Carlos Z

3 Likes
  1. Smart contracts won’t be able to be deployed as some operations are unable to be carried out.

2. Under the Dawn 3.0 system contract, token holders could only sell RAM for the price they paid, just as the other resources.
    In EOSIO Dawn 4.0, the EOS network switched to a market-based allocation approach using the Bancor algorithm of this new system.

3. Free market sets the price. This is ensured by the EOS RAM algorithm.

4. Increase in the price of RAM as the network becomes more and more popular for use of the memory space & speculation of the RAM resources that make developers build dApps more costly as there are unused RAM resources on the network and those available become more expensive to buy.

2 Likes