Basic EOS Programming - Discussion

@Sam_Asad Are you getting some error? If you just delete the EOS Studio app, it still keeps some stuff in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/eos-studio, this content should be deleted too. Also, if I am not wrong, deleting the app will not delete the node instance (and blockchain data???), but I am not sure about that. You can try to delete manually the instance inside EOS Studio before deleting the app itself. Good luck and don’t give up! Developers should be prepared to deal with the unpredictable :slight_smile: It’s a shame that we get almost no support from the academy team :frowning: You can also try to use EOS running a local node from the command line and use cleos to deploy and interact with the contracts. It’s a bit more advanced but it’s covered in the second EOS Programming course, that I am doing right now. EOS Studio is a bit buggy.

2 Likes

Hi, well, I could never be a replacement for Filip, but yes, I’m one of the moderators and I have the EOS 101 course as one of the courses I watch. I try to help out and I answer what I can or I’ll try to guide you in the right direction. :blush: Like where to find resources, etc, etc.

But we as a community forum are all responsible for helping our fellow students, just like you just did. :wink:
Thank you, for helping each other.:raised_hands:

Ivo

TO ALL STUDENTS READING THIS POST.
I would be interested to know what courses have you completed before you started this EOS Course?

Feel free to reply to this post if you want to share that with us.
There are no wrong answers, so don’t hesitate to reply.:blush:

@thecil Do you want to start by sharing your courses with us?

Ivo

@ivga80 here i am bro, yes, this is the exact order that i took before jumping into EOS 101 & 201.

1. Deep Blockchain Fundamentals (now sharded into many, so just start with #2 on this list).
  2. Blockchain & Bitcoin 101.
  3. Javascript Programming for Blockchain Developers.
  4. C++ Programming for Blockchain Developers.
  5. EOS Programming 101.
  6. EOS Programming 201.

From my perspective, EOS is a more advanced tech than ethereum, we just can’t see it’s full potential yet; You must understand the fundamentals of blockchain tech to have a peak on how EOS is working under the hood, im just truly amaze with it (probably more than ethereum, i can be wrong, but remember this is only my perspective).

When my journey with EOS courses start, i do love the EOS studio IDE, but on the EOS 201 i just realize how truly challenge this course would be, for all students, i do recommend and encourage to learn & try to do the course on Linux, since most of the tools are developed on it, it will save you a lot of time and headache while learning it.

So, to help others to save some time on their path, you can check here my personal (now public) library that i have to do to save me some time to learn and run a lot of commands.

1. EOS Coding: this is a list of tutorials i made for myself to save a lot of time on the way.
  2. EOS Dog Contract Improvements: you can find here my own improvements on the Dog Contract has an example for the Academy.
  3. Issues & Fixes i found in the path.
  4. Linux tweaks for nodeos.
  5. EOS Developers portal.
  6. EOS functions index.

It might looks very complex at the beginning, but be patience and try your best to understand c++ to be able to finish it. Remember your part of the academy, we are here to help! Please remember to try it on Linux since its more friendly with EOS than windows or Mac and if you get Stuck, use the forum! we will try to help you in the best way possible!.

PD: heres a guide from one of our fellow students to run Linux on a VM (virtual machine), Check here.

3 Likes

Hello everyone

@filip
When I try to build a simple helloworld contract, I get the error

Internal Server Error, real status: 500

I’m using EOSIO Studio in chrome browser, Cloud Network. I used the code that was generated automatically and I haven’t changed it. The first time I tried (some days ago) it worked fine. Now this.

Hope someone can help me.
Thx

1 Like

@franky can you send a screenshot? its probably a problem from EOSIO Studio, try to opened on firefox browser or other browsers (brave, opera, edge).

Internal Server Error, real status: 500

This error might appear when there is a problem between your browser or internet connection and the website your visiting, also might be an internal problem directly from EOSIO Studio, there is no way to really know that, all you can do is to at least known if the problem is not coming from your side.

1 Like

@thecil
Thanks for your answer. I have chrome, brave and safari. I can run eosstudio only on chrome, brave doesn’t let me connect to github and safari just displays blank. I don’t want to install another browser :smiley:

Here is the screenshot from chrome

@franky yes sir, EOS studio does not let you connect with github or even after you can, it will show issues with EOS studio, maybe if you deactivate the brave shield, just to try.

For me its happens the same on brave, so i use Firefox instead to use EOS studio. Happy programming!

1 Like

Hi all,

For the “helloworld” project on eos studio, my project won’t build. First I go an error. After, I tried rebuilding the project; however, the project will just try and build for a while.

When I first created my project, the project already had a .eosproj, .abi, .wasm, and a README.md file attached. Because some of those files appeared after the project was built in the video, I’m guessing that could be my problem?

Also, in my .wasm file, I get this error: Error: readWasm failed:
0000000: error: unable to read uint32_t: magic

I’m not too sure how to resolve this problem, but if you have any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!(:

@chaneltiana hello, are you naming one of your variables as “uint32_t magic”? can you share the code or a screenshot?

Use the “Preformatted Text” Button to encapsulate any kind of code you want to show.

I am a happy Preformatted Text box, please use me wisely!

Carlos Z.

1 Like

No, I didn’t name one of my variables uint32_t magic, but below is the screenshot of my code:

which browser are you using? the internal server error, real status:500 i explain it few days ago, scroll up a little bit on this post to check some advises.

If you have any other issue, let us know!

Carlos Z.

1 Like

I am using google chrome. Okay, thanks!

1 Like

Awesome, with google chrome you should not have any kind of issue (i hope), if you are experience any issue, i suggest to try with other browser (i use firefox for EOS studio since it does not show any problem, at least for me).

If you still an issue, just let us know. :slight_smile:

Carlos Z.

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile: @filip @thecil

I’ve got the same issue as @franky and @chaneltiana.

I encountered the error both with Chrome and with Firefox. (I tried to use Edge as well, but I could not login successfully with my GitHub account.) I guess the problem is not related to the browser, but it seems to be a temporary issue with EOS studio, what do you think?

When I create the helloworld project, on my left pane, besides “Helloworld”, “include”, helloworld.hpp, “src” and helloworld.cpp, there is also an .eosproj file. Furthermore, the helloworld.abi and helloworld.wasm files are already created, plus a readme file.

There is also default code already in the helloworld file, quite long.

Please see screenshot below:

When I build using the hammer icon hammer (Build (EOSIO.CDT v.1.6.2), I get the following error message:

eosio-cpp -abigen -I include -R resource -contract helloworld -o helloworld.wasm src/helloworld.cpp
<h2>Internal Server Error, real status: 500</h2>

When I click on helloworld.wasm, it reads:

Error: readWasm failed:
0000000: error: unable to read uint32_t: magic

Do you have any idea what this error could be?

By the way, I am using the EOS Studio Web on Windows 10.

Thank you for your help or suggestions!

I forgot to mention I used the code as instructed by Filip in my helloworld.cpp file before to build, as below:

I have completed Blockchain & Bitcoin 101, Javascript Programming for Blockchain Developers and C++ Programming for Blockchain Developers, in that order. I am in the middle of the Lightning Network course as well. And outside of Ivan’s Academy, I am enrolled in a C++ course on Udacity…

@thecil Thanks for the advice about Linux. I have an old PC that I don’t use anymore, I wonder if it would be worth installing Linux on it…

2 Likes

Absolutely sir! if you are not using it, well would be awesome if you start to learn linux with that old PC, its not really so hard once you know how to use command line interface (CLI).
Linux is about freedom, most of the new tools in the blockchain space are built on linux, so you will find a lot of documentation to install most of the tools with easy steps.
Nodeos for example is not hard at all on linux, while in windows you could find a lot of errors in the path.

If you want to take the path on linux, i advice you to learn about the OS commands, what can you do with the “root” user, how to do simple operations like copy or move a file to another folder with command lines, how to manage permissions level on some files.

If you learn linux before jumping into other courses in the academy, you will find yourself in a more easy journey than windows or mac. You could start with Ubuntu or Debian for example, and then start the adventure! :muscle:

Carlos Z.

2 Likes

About this error sir, i’m pretty sure its a direct problem with EOStudio, a lot of students are facing the same issue (scroll up this post so you see some advises that i gave about the same issue).

Why i’m now more sure than before? simply because you all guys are facing the same issue, so it’s not only me nor you.

What i have done in the past?

• Use vpn on different locations to skip that problem, FAIL.
  • Different OS (windows/linux), FAIL.
  • Different browsers, Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Opera, Edge, Internet Explorer…FAIL.
  • Different PC on a different location, FAIL.

Also you are not the only one with this issue if you see other students posts here.

So i advice: continue the course if you want to (or you feel up to the challenge), try to understand really deep how to install Cleos & Nodeos (filip explain it with more detail in EOS 201). Because right now it looks like is a problem with EOStudio.

Carlos Z.

3 Likes

Thanks @thecil, this is really cool! I am installing Linux now on my old laptop with Ubuntu. :+1:

2 Likes