Anyone here thinking about building a company/dapp on Ethereum?

Hey all,

I’m working on a side project called Watch Nature. We’re building a community to accelerate the documentation and conservation of life on Earth.

The dapp will be a social field guide to life on Earth. It will be a social network to share, identify and tag nature observations. You’ll be able to curate a stream of nature observations of your favorite species, naturalists and natural places around the planet. We’re in the very early stages of developing an AI to identify species using the data you submit to help train the machine learning algorithms. We hope to build the best AI in the world for identifying species. (Coder sidebar - we’re building the app right now with Elixir and Vue open source on GitHub. We haven’t committed any Ethereum or ML code to the GitHub repo yet, because it’s very nascent, just the social network stuff is there right now.)

The company will be built and governed using Ethereum smart contracts. We’ll launch a coin, probably the Watch Nature Coin (WNC), do an ICO as an initial round of funding to get started working full time. We’ll sell the coins on an ongoing basis to members in exchange for an annual BTC, ETH or USD membership. Members of the company will buy tokens to support and be involved in governing and guiding our conservation and education missions and to support the creation of content on the network, thus incentivizing the creation of great nature content of all kinds. WNC would, of course, be traded on the crypto market as well.

I’ve just really discovered Ethereum and all the magic that is happening with blockchain tech recently and have been downloading 100s of hours of YouTube, Steemit, Reddit and Medium for the past few months. Super excited about it.

Anyone else working on an Ethereum-based company/dapp? Would love to talk about it.

Brady

https://twitter.com/bswen

5 Likes

Hey there!

The Watch Nature project sounds exciting! I’m thinking of a friend who’s a zoologist that might be more than interested in using it/contributing somehow to the project!
I’m currently on an early stage of a developing a dapp based on ethereum to help people educate themselves about blockchain tech and decentralized projects through games and rehearsal scenarios. The whole concept is to create a playground that provides a friendly approach to these new technologies and an easier way to create the transition to mass adoption of them.
So far, thinking about incorporating the smart contracts and coin rewards, but basically use it overall to create a community based platform.
I’m really eager to know how everyone else is going through the process of creation!
Wan

2 Likes

I think that’s a great idea. I could see a decentralized Skillshare-like market that incentivizes creation of educational blockchain tech content. Also a tool like JS Fiddle for blockchain tech would be really useful. It could support Ethereum/Solidity, Neo/JS and other blockchain platforms - a literal sandbox for blockchain dev. Would be a lot of work but also really valuable seeing as so many businesses and other organizations are going to find many useful ways to use blockchain.

1 Like

Hi! I’m working on a few different dapps. We’re investigating the possibility of an ICO too, as seed funding, but the main focus is flipping market value to a decentralized crowdsourcing model. That’s what the blockchain really means for me, the ability to put data back in the users hands and not “Evil Corp”. Just imagine a world where the users of Watch Nature and the content they create is their payment to the community instead of using a subscription model. One of the projects I’m working on is similar to WN and could be of interest to you.

1 Like

That sounds like a really great idea! Need any help? It’s still quite hard to talk about blockchain technology without people automatically going into “that’s just nerd money for the dark web”-mode. Question: Is the playground only meant to educate and engage the community or will there be real value in your coin rewards?